Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Oh Nurse!

You know what they say about being a mom, you get to wear all hats!! At 1:30 a.m. this morning, I got to play nurse to Olivia. As I've said in earlier blogs, she visits our bed in the middle of the night. Her little footsteps running down the hall wake me up every time. However, last night she stumbled as she got to the foot of my bed. She didn't cry out or anything but I knew she hit the bed funny. So once she was comfortably in her spot, she kept fidgeting with her foot. I asked her what was wrong and she said her foot hurt. I took her foot in my hand and felt something wet. I turned the light on and yep, blood. It was awful. She cut about an half inch circle out of the bottom of her foot. The skin was hanging on by a thread so I cut it off. It is now an open wound. I cleaned it up, put Neosporin and a band aid on it and she fell back to sleep within seconds. She loves having her head rubbed and Daddy was there to soothe her back to sleep. She amazes me. This 32lb, 38 1/4 inch tall little girl has a very high tolerance for pain. How someone so little could just let cuts, scrapes, fall downs, gouges in her foot just roll off her is beyond me. I have a high pain tolerance and we all know Jimmy does too (hence, falling into a coma with bacterial meningitis) but for someone so small, she is amazing.

Once she fell back to sleep, I then had to contend with Alex getting up. I finally coaxed him back to bed with the thought that he would be tired today during his school picnic if he didn't get back to sleep. So, the morning was pretty rough. Olivia's last day of preschool class was today and she didn't want to miss it. We let the cut air out a little this morning and then put a fresh band aid on it. With her sock on, she walks on the side of her foot. It was against my better judgment to send her but she WANTED to go and celebrate water day and do bubbles and paints. School told her they would take care of her and Daddy told her he would pick her up when it was over and she could go to the picnic with Alex. Such a trooper! So here I sit at work trying to prepare this Lease Summary all the while thinking of her little foot and wondering if she's OK, thinking about Alex and hoping he is being safe and having a good time and thinking about Jimmy spending the day with his kids. I want to be there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment