Thursday, May 29, 2008

Last Day of School







Today was Alex and Olivia's last day of school. This morning when I woke Alex up, I couldn't help but feel giddy myself that today was the last day of school. I was remembering how awesome that used to feel when I was a kid. I wish I could take the summer off!

I can't believe that Alex is going to be in the 4th grade. I also can't believe that next September (2009), Olivia will be starting Kindergarten. Where does the time go? We don't have any special plans this summer. Alex is going to go to a basketball camp at De Smet High School for a week in June and a soccer camp for a week in July. Other than that, they are looking forward to spending the summer at Aunt Jane's. We haven't seen her since she injured her knee back in November.

My plans this summer are to get Alex reading better and tackle his possible dyslexia. He needs to realize that he has learned to read but now, he has to read to learn. This is going to be challenging. He has 3 book reports due by the first day of school in August. I found a new series for him about a boy that has dyslexia - Henry Zipzer. I checked the first book out at the library yesterday. So, we'll see if he likes it. I wish he had my love for reading. You should see the stack of books I have checked out from library that I can't wait to devour. But then, I need to remind myself that maybe he does have that love somewhere inside, but that right now, it's difficult for him to just pick up a book and read. I really need to look into ways to help him master this disability.

My other goal this summer is to work with Olivia on learning her letters and numbers. She is smart as a whip and loves homework. So I don't expect any trouble out of her. I have a huge preschool book that I bought for Alex but never used. I am going to put that book to use with Olivia. It is my goal.

Other than that, I hope that we can get outside a lot. I am really hoping to increase our physical activity and just get outside. Both of my kids love the TV. (They are their father's children!) We still have swim classes and softball to get us through until July. And hopefully, this weather will cooperate and stay warm and sunny!

Happy 1st day of summer vacation Alex and Olivia!!

Here are pictures of the first day of school for Alex and Olivia. These range from 1st day of Kindgergarten to present. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could come be your kid for the summer! I'm sure you would have a good plan for me too - one that mixed learning with fun. It all passes by so quickly...enjoy it! (I love reading the blog! Thanks for "fixing" the comment setting!)
    "Aunt" Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this again!

    I love reading about my dear friend and her beautiful family! You are all wonderful and I thank you for sharing.

    Alex may end up not being a reader and grow up learning in other ways but keep encouraging him and maybe he'll begin to crave it too!

    I love you all!

    Jessica (JJ)

    ReplyDelete