Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First Day of School 2011

Yesterday, August 16th marked the first day of 7th grade for Alex and 1st grade for Olivia.  Last Thursday, Olivia got to meet her teacher and take her supplies up to school.  I am really excited about the teacher Olivia got this year.  I think she will do great.  Olivia is at a new school this year but she can't be more excited.  Last year, Olivia went to Truman due to Crestwood not having any openings for full day Kindergarten.  So this year she is at Crestwood, the school within our boundaries.  Alex gets to go to the new middle school - Truman.  They turned the Truman Elementary into a Truman Middle School so now there are 2 middle schools.  His friends are going to Truman too so he is pretty happy.  Monday, we got to walk the halls of Truman MS so he could find out where his classes are.  This is very important to Alex. He has a hard time just going with the flow.  He has to know specifics about what he has to do, what's expected of him, etc.  He gets very nervous if he has to do something that isn't prepared for.  We saw Lori while we were there and she told him what hallways had what numbers so I know that helped him as well.  I am so happy that we get to see Lori again this year.  I loved having her so closely connected with the kids. 

So Monday night, the kids took their showers and went to bed real easy.  Alex said he wasn't ready to go back to school but I secretly think he was excited to be with his friends and not hanging out at home so much during the day.  Olivia was beyond ecstatic and couldn't wait.  I could believe how easy they went to bed and than on top of it, both of them woke up so easily!  I was pinching myself thinking how could this get any better.  There was no yelling, no running around last minute, it was perfect. 

Since Alex was the first one up and out the door - really, school starts at 7:40 am - who is functioning this early?  Here are his obligatory first day of school pics:


Seriously, where did the time go?  I keep thinking of my baby boy on his first day of preschool at Sacred Heart Villa.  He was 3.  I remember holding him with tears streaming down my face as I was saying good-bye.  The lady there asked me if this was my first time leaving him and through the tears I said "no, he's been in daycare since he was 3 months old."  LOL!  I laugh at this now but I am sure she thought I was a whacko.  Ok, so sue me, I get emotional when it comes to my kids.  So here he is, looking so grown up.  I love this kid so much!!  He is such a great kid.  He does really well in school and really does love to learn.  Here's to a great year buddy!

After Alex was out the door, I started getting myself ready for work and then woke Olivia up.  She got herself dressed and ready to go.  When we went downstairs, I had packed her lunch in her "old" lunchbox.  She didn't like that and wanted to use her new lunchbox from Aunt Debbie.  So we had to transfer everything.  No biggie but this "new" lunchbox is so big!!  This is the first year Olivia will be riding the school bus.  Last year since she went to a school outside of our boundary, we had to take and pick her up every day.  (Thanks to Lori for all the times she brought Olivia home!)  So Olivia was beyond excited to be riding the bus.  She wanted to ride the bus there and then have me meet her there to walk her to her classroom.  So I was happy to oblige.  Here are Olivia's first day pics:




Now here are her pics getting on the school bus!!  Seriously!!  She is too little, my heart was screaming.  But I knew in my mind this was only the beginning to letting her grow up.  She has the nicest bus driver too which just makes it a little more easy on me. 




She went right on up and took a seat and promptly gave me a smile and a wave!  I was seriously fighting the tears at this point.  I walked back to my car and drove up to school to wait for her to arrive.  Finally her bus got there and she got off and ran right up to me!  We quickly walked to her room and she walked right in...and forgot all about me!  LOL!!  She is my fearless one.  She doesn't get nervous to try something new and unfamiliar. She went right in and took her seat.  I tried to get her attention to say goodbye but realized this was what I wanted...for her to feel safe and happy.  So I left. 

I thought about the both of them all day.  Alex knew he could count on Lori if he needed help so I was ok there.  I prayed all morning that Olivia would have a good day.  She had 3 months to acquire some bad habits. LOL!  I left work early so that I could meet Olivia's bus.  As soon as I saw that bus, my heart just leapt with joy!  She quickly got off and said she had a great day!!  As a treat, I took the kids to Lion's Choice for their dip cones.  If you have never had a Lion's Choice dip cone, I suggest you run right now and get one.  They are so good and so cheap!! 

So overall, both kids had fantastic first days!  I really do love the Lindbergh School District. So here's to a great year for kiddos!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment