Monday, April 20, 2009

Toast to Liz

There's a saying that I love that reminds me of my relationship with Liz. It goes "When you're in jail, a good friend will be there to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying "Damn that was fun". Even though Liz and I are 10 years apart, she is my best friend and has always been by my side while growing up.

As you begin this chapter of your new life with Bryan, I can't help but reminisce. I remember the day mom and dad brought you home. You had on this teeny tiny little outfit with strawberries on it. Stevie was sick and we were staying at Grandma and Grandpa Inman's. Grandma brought us over so we could see you. As I looked at you through the glass door, I knew you were something special. Just yesterday, we were only kids sharing a room, and even a bed at one time. I used to love the times we'd stay up late...and I'd make you brush my hair or scratch my back. I loved our "Sister Days" going to the mall or driving to the park and just talking. We've had our share of laughs, we've had our share of tears and we've even had a few fights but I hope you see that I was ALWAYS right.

So here's a little sisterly advice. The next three hours will be interfused into hundreds of sequential split second events...the first dance, the father-daughter dance, the cutting of the cake and just dancing the night away. But something else is going to happen tonight. Something that I want you to cherish. After running out the door at the end of the night, I want you to turn around before slipping inside your getaway car, turn around and for one last time tonight, be lost in the emotions of others, feel the love of everyone here celebrating this wonderful day with you and when you close the door and are suddenly enveloped in quietness so loud you can hear your heart fluttering, I want you to remember the little girl who loved playing dress up; remember the little girl who loved gymnastics and cheerleading; remember the little girl who came to her sister and said ever so casually she was in love.

In our lifetime, we are gifted a small number of truly "landmark moments". They start out small enough say riding a two-wheeled bicycle or throwing your graduation hat in the air. These moments grow in power and significance. And it must be a perfect moment when you look into the eyes of the most loving, caring, giving individual that you've ever known and realize you've found true love. You definitely found your prince because for the last 4 years, you've not only had a smile on your face but in your heart as well.

As your older sister, I've always tried to protect you and shield you from harm. But looking at you and Bryan today, I've realized that you have someone to take over this job for me. Bryan, I love you, you are an amazing, special individual, someone that made my sister realize that she does deserve only the best.

Since you and Bryan love Cardinal baseball, to help you understand what really lies in store, let me explain this marriage thing with a baseball metaphor:

Winning or losing is not the point, nor who chalks up the most runs.
The key is reveling in the now and playing to have fun.
Sometimes you will make errors, sometimes you'll blast one out of the park.
But no matter what, you'll always be wanting to head home.

Liz, I am so proud of the woman you've grown to be and I'm so happy to share this day with you.

To my little siter Liz and to my new brother-in-law Bryan! [TOAST]

1 comment:

  1. That was such a great toast. What a wonderful relationship you have with Liz.

    ReplyDelete