Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Weekend

My Valentine Weekend was one of the best weekends I have had in a long time! It started out with a bridal shower for Liz at Chevy's. A couple of friends from Premier Care got together for her. Had a great time and got the chance to catch up with one of my good friends - Shannon - as well. I wanted to go to the bookstore after the shower but completely forgot. My week was not so pleasant -- the sewer backed up in the basement leaving my house smelling like...well you know "CRAP!!". Ugh. Had Roto Rooter out 3 days in a row - it's still not fixed. Then, I had to prepare for Olivia's Preschool Valentine Party. As much as I love being head room parent, this job stressed me out. I have to have everything perfect and really put a lot of thought into the goodie bags, craft and games for the girls. So, by the time Friday rolled around, I was feeling a little overwhelmed but extremely thankful the weekend was upon me. So anyway, back to my weekend -- forgot to go to the bookstore. However, that worked out in my favor. My best friend JJ called me on my way home. She is in sunny FL and I miss her terribly. I hate that I can't just pick the phone up to call her. I really needed to talk to her. Actually, after speaking with her, she really needed to talk to me too. I am so grateful for her. Then, my hubby and kids surprised me with Valentine cards and chocolates. Usually, at these small holidays, I buy for myself. Well, they surprised me. I loved everything.

On Saturday, we decided to make it a day for everyone -- not just me and Jimmy. Alex had a basketball game and after the game, we went for one of our favorite meals -- seafood. We went to Joe's Crab Shack in IL for lunch -- well it ended up being a late lunch. Olivia devoured her crab as soon as I cracked it and put it on her plate. She could probably eat her weight in crab! After lunch, we went over to Sports Authority and got Jimmy a new pair of crocs and Alex a new competitive swimsuit. His other suit got holes in it from being scraped on the no-slip strips along the pool edge and with a meet coming up this weekend, he needed a new one. After that, my Valentine present consisted of going to the bookstore. My love, my passion! I love books!! When JJ and I talked Friday night, she told me about a book she was reading and the author. I decided it sounded like an author I wanted to read and so I got the book. Actually, I got 2 books that I wanted. Olivia picked up a stuffed "Olivia". Olivia is the character in Ian Falconner's books called Olivia. She is a pig with an attitude. Olivia has a few of these books and they recently made the book into a series on Nickelodeon that she loves to watch. After the bookstore, we headed over to Gamestop for Jimmy and Alex's Valentine gifts. They both got a new video game. We had such a great day being together. It really was one of the best Valentine's days I've had! I love spending time with my hubby and kids.

Sunday was a great day as well. We took the kids out for breakfast at a restaurant down the street from our house. After breakfast, we went stopped off again at Sports Authority. I noticed at breakfast that Olivia's crocs were busted at the toe. Those are her main shoes -- she loves her crocs. So we got Olivia a new pair. I also picked up a pair of soccer shorts for Olivia. They were on clearance for $3 to good to pass up. In the fall, she will get to play soccer. I can't wait. We also stopped in Pet Smart. They had a few dogs for adoption. We have been thinking of getting a new puppy. We also checked out the cats but can't convince hubby to go for that one - yet! Then, we headed to Wal-Mart and grocery shopped. I really hate grocery shopping but since Wal-Mart became a Supercenter, that's the only place I go now. I love that I can do all my shopping at one place. We were actually in Wal-Mart for a couple of hours. After that, we headed home to do some home things -- laundry, dishes, etc. Alex had another basketball game and we had to do our concession stand duty. Jimmy happily obliged and took the "duty hour". Liv and I stayed home. I made a pot of Jambalaya for dinner and got ready to start my week. Jimmy and the kids got the luxery of having today off. I hated that this awesome weekend had to come to an end. So here's to hoping my week is as pleasant as my weekend was!!

2 comments:

  1. I have a great head room parent for my daughter who organizes all of the activities and really makes my daughter's class special. It's amazing what a good room parent can do for the kids and the parents. Bless you taking time out of your day to volunteer! She's kept her sanity somewhat by using a web planning tool called Qlub (maybe it's called Qlubb?) which has helped keep us all in line and informed of what's going on - it's like a super Web page where we can all go to to know what's going on. Communication is like half the battle. Thought I'd pass the tip on. Happy room parenting and happy V-day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a camera on your computer? If you don't you can buy one for $25 or so and talk to your friend via the computer on Skype. It is free and you can see and hear each other. You both have to have the cameras but it's a great way to keep in touch. Once you buy the camera it's free. There is no charge for the times you talk.

    ReplyDelete