Sunday, December 7, 2008

St. Nick Day

St. Nicholas Day will be a day that I will never forget - December 6th. Of course, St. Nick visited our house last night and left goodies in everyone's stocking but this day is also a day for us to find Joy and remember a very special woman - my mother-in-law Mary.


Mary passed away 6 years ago on Saturday from a 4-year battle with ovarian cancer. We all joke that she picked this day so none of us would forget the kids, a day that is to be joyous and happy. I know I've mentioned her before but she truly was an amazing woman. I will be forever grateful for having known this woman, for making me feel like I was a "daughter", for showing me to find a little bit of joy in everything and for all the love and joy she had for Alex. Alex really misses his Mimi and will still get teary-eyed to this day when he talks about her. Those two created a very strong bond. I just wish he could have had his Mimi as long as I had both my Grandma's. And I wish Olivia could have had the opportunity to know her as well. Mary is one person that would have always been in their corner - whether they were good or bad, distributing lots of hugs and kisses, giving them lots of laughs at their antics and someone who would be geniunely interested in whatever it was they were doing.

So we honor our Mimi. We love you and miss you terribly!

"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure!"

1 comment:

  1. what lovely (and true) memories. There is a Jewish saying you add (in a whisper) when you speak the name of a loved one who has died -- "may her memory be a blessing forever" -- and that is how I think about Mary - her memory will be a blessing for many for ever.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete