Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Week of School

Last Tuesday was the first day of school for Alex and Olivia! They both started at their new schools.

Alex's day started at 6:15 a.m.! That is incredibly early compared to the late mornings he slept in during the summer. But he didn't seem to have any problems. He was up and at'em right on time. We decided we would take him to school and he could ride the bus home. So after obliging his Momma, and getting his picture taken, Dad took him to school. School starts at 7:25 a.m. Who in their right mind is functioning at 7:25 a.m.? I know I am not!! I can't believe my baby is in the 6th grade! I am so thankful that Alex's school had a Transition Day. I think it really helped smooth things out for him. He is such a worrier and has to know everything that is going on even before he does it. So I think already knowing where his classes were for the first day really helped start the year off great! He is now taking the bus to and from school -- each morning, he meets the neighbor kids and they all walk to the bus stop together. So happy he has someone to do that with. Another big thing for Alex this year is Band. He is taking the trumpet. He loves to practice!! Actually, it's funny because the noise doesn't bother me but it bothers Jimmy. LOL!

My baby girl started Kindergarten! As I was walking her in to school, I started getting a huge lump in my throat. It was so hard to fight it back, but I didn't want her to see me upset. However, Olivia could not get to school fast enough!! She got to see her classroom and meet her teacher the other night so she knew where her seat was and was just so excited. She has been waiting for this day to come. And, I do believe she was ready!! Jimmy and I walked her to her classroom and helped her with her bookbag and lunchbox and took her in to the classroom. She ran to her seat and immediately opened the PlayDoh the teacher had put at everyone's spot. I rubbed her arm and told her to have a good day and that I was going. She was like "bye Mom". She didn't care! Again, I was fighting that lump in my throat. As we left, I saw a little boy screaming and trying to run out of another classroom while the Mom grabbed him up and the teacher was coaxing him to stay. It was at that moment, I thanked God Olivia was ready for this day! She had a fantastic week behavior-wise and stayed "green" all week. She is loving school!!

I think we are really going to like this school district. I have volunteered to help out at both schools and am looking forward to meeting new Mom's! I think this is going to be a great year!!! Thank you God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment